Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Thursday 22 December 2011

Retrospective Post: Last Night

I've actually been writing posts for a couple of months now, but only got around to actually setting up the blog and posting this past week.  This is something short that I wrote on October 21, the evening before I got married.  Since today is our two-month anniversary (yay!), it seemed an apt time to share it:


This is my last night as a single lady. I'm not really sure how I should feel now. Excited? Nervous? Relieved that the hubbub of wedding planning is actually over? I guess I feel all of these things, and none of them, not to mention overwhelmingly tired.

The truth is, I think we never know just how to feel on the eve of a big change. Thinking back, I barely remember the “last nights” to some of my momentous occasions. Last night before university – no memory. Last night before moving oversees – coffee with a friend. There is the sense that I ought to do something commemorative, but I am just thinking of the things that I won't do again: I won't live with a female friend and stay up way too late meandering through conversation topics. I won't take off for a weekend away on a moment's notice. I won't daydream about the man I will marry.

But for every “I won't” is an “I will” that I don't know yet, and it's exciting to think that in the morning, we get to start learning what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment