Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Waiting

Over the next few days/weeks, I'm planning a couple of posts on waiting. This is something that's come up a lot in my thoughts lately. Really, I think the last 18 months of my life have been dominated by waiting: First for Gil to propose (that took longer than I expected!), then for our wedding, and now it feels like an endless wait until we find a house.

I am not a patient person. I like to make things happen. I've always been pretty self-reliant, so relying on other factors (especially people) is difficult for me. I don't think I'm alone in that. We are a society that thrives on instant gratification. What I have learned over the years, though, is that most of us are playing the waiting game. We get what we want, and we soon start to want something else. We get a job after a long search, then soon start to worry about when we will get a promotion. We count down to a vacation, then come back home and start looking towards to the next holiday. In my case, I got engaged (yay!), then married (yay!), and only a few weeks later started to get anxious about finding a house. And I know that the house won't make me happy in itself. In a little while, we will decide to start a family, and then we will be waiting to see if we get pregnant, then (assuming we are able to have children) waiting for a baby to come, then looking towards when it will be time to have a second one. All the while, looking ahead threatens to turn our attention from what God is doing RIGHT NOW.

This feeling of being in the “waiting room” has me thinking that the Lord is really using this time to develop patience in me... and I've not been using it to my advantage to grow as I ought to. Stay tuned for a few notes on what I've been learning lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment