Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books on My Summer TBR List

Today I'm linking up again with The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is "Top Ten Books At The Top Of My Summer TBR List".  I don't usually make a seasonal list of my to-read intentions.  I have a master list that grows longer every day (sigh...) and a very short list of what I'd like to start next.  Still, here are some books I'm planning on to reading this summer:


1.  The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng:  I'm kind of cheating since I've just started this one, but it's great so far.  I saw it on another blogger's TTT a few weeks ago and was immediately intrigued as I've never read a book set in Malaysia.  (FYI, my husband is from Malaysia.)

2.  As Near to Heaven by Sea:  A History of Newfoundland and Labrador by Kevin Major:  My husband travels to Newfoundland a few times a year, but this summer he's finally taking me along.  Woohoo!  I thought it was high time I read this history book that was a wedding gift.

3.  The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx:  One of the few novels I know of that takes place in Newfoundland.  Anyone out there have other suggestions?  I've already read Alligator by Lisa Moore, as well as The Colony of Unrequited Dreams.

4.  To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis:  Since I liked Doomsday Book so much, this seemed like a logical summer read.

5.  The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde:  This showed up on a lot of lists when I was looking up time travel books.  I looooove Jane Eyre, so this seems like a natural choice for me.  I've got it on my Kindle, so I'll read it when we're traveling around Newfoundland and I don't want to lug a lot of paper books.

6.  The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle:  Sherlock Holmes is every these days.  I've read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, but not this one, and it seems high time I finally read it.  Also on my Kindle.

7.  This Momentary Marriage by John Piper:  This will be the fourth installment of my marriage reads for the year.  I aim to post on it some time in August.

8.  Half the Sky by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn:  I received this as a gift from a friend who almost never reads non-fiction, so I'm assuming that means it's pretty good.  As I understand, it looks at the role of women and girls across the world and at movements to give women more of a voice.

That's all I could come up with so far.  Who knows whether I'll actually read all of those or instead get caught up in a reading tangent?  What books are you looking forward to reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment