Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 22 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Characters Who Would Annoy Me in Real Life

This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic (over at The Broke and the Bookish) is fairly open-ended: Top Ten Characters Who X (you fill in the blank).  I choose to talk about characters who would annoy me in real life.  I'm specifically going with people who are annoying, not ones that I loathe (looking at you, Angel Clare), and not ones who I love for their annoying traits (Oh, hey there, Mr Collins).  Without further ado:
1. Marianne Dashwood (Sense andSensibility): I've never been a particularly romantic person, and Marianne's impracticably poetic leanings and disregard for Elinor's feelings grate on me.

2. Mrs Bennet (Pride and Prejudice): Compassion for your poor nerves, indeed! Woman up and take care of your children, lady!

3. Wren (Fangirl): I understand she was going through a wild phase, but her disregard for Cath and selfishness rubbed me the wrong way. 

4. Harry Potter: Don't get me wrong, I love Harry, but he sure is angsty. I can get past that because he's a teenager, but he also keeps a lot of secrets from his friends and has trouble accepting help, which would annoy me.

5. Tris (Divergent): I liked the books, but the whole let's-throw-myself-into-danger attitude got to me.

6. Mrs Hale (North and South): Lady, pull yourself together and stop the pity party. Yes, she eventually got sick, but before that it bothered me how much she left it to Margaret to bear all her burdens and didn't try to support or encourage her.

7. St John Rivers (Jane Eyre): She doesn't want your loveless marriage, dude. Get over yourself.

8. Swift Fox (MaddAddam): It's the end of the world as we know it. Everyone is trying to survive. There's no need to act like a character off Gossip Girl.

9. Marius (Les Misérables): He has some great songs in the musical, but I just don't like this character in the book. He's so broody and wanders around mooning after Cosette, borderline stalking her. That in itself is annoying, but he has nothing to live off of and although he's got an education, he seems to stop working because of his obsession with Cosette. I'm glad he shaped up in the end, but I didn't find him endearing at all.

10. Treena and Patrick (Me BeforeYou): It was a toss-up between these two, so I picked them both. Treena struck me as selfish and unsupportive, especially when she got mad that her sister moves into her room while she is away at school, even though Lou has been basically living in the closet up to them. Patrick is totally self-absorbed, focused on his running and ignoring his girlfriend, then getting jealous because she develops other interests. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. I clicked on your link from TTT just because of the blog name! LOVE it! I completely agree with you on 1, 2, 4, 7, and 9 (haven't read the others). Great topic and list. I did villains:
    http://abibliophilesstyle.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/top-five-tuesday-favourite-villains/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your choices and commentary and would absolutely agree with you. :) I'm listening to the audiobook of North and South right now and while I do pity Mrs. Hale she really needs to pull it together.
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2014/04/top-ten-secondary-characters-who-i.html

    ReplyDelete