Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Unique Reads

It's another Tuesday, annnnnd I just realized that I missed Medical Monday one again.  I have a couple more days, to link up, right?  For now, I'll be posting on books, but stay tuned for my MM post later this week.  This week's topic, hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish, is about the most "unique" books we've read.  It could be a unique perspective or plot twist, or just an interesting spin on a topic.  Here are my picks:

1.  No One Is Here Except All Of Us by Ramona Ausubel:  The whole tone of this novel is strange and different and almost fairy tale like, despite a setting that is anything but a fairy tale.  It's hard to explain if you haven't read it, but it's very unique.

2.  The Best Laid Plans (and its sequel The High Road) by Terry Fallis:  Canadian political satire is not the kind of thing you find every day.... or at all.  This book is also uproariously funny.

3.  The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold:  The only book I've ever read told from the perspective of a dead girl.

4.  Life of Pi by Yann Martel:  Yes, I actually read it after listing it earlier as one of the books I was intimidated by.  To tell the truth, I didn't love this book and after a while, I just wanted them to get off the darn boat, but there is no arguing that it was a unique perspective. 

5.  Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder:  It's a book.... but also a philosophy course.  I liked this in high school, but should probably pick it up again.

6.  The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland:  This was a gift, and I'm not usually big on novels told through letters, but this was pretty unique.  A middle-aged man and young woman start writing to each other while working at Staples, but otherwise don't acknowledge they know each other at all.  I enjoyed it. 

7.  Attachments by Rainbow Rowell:  Boy falls in love with girl... by reading her private email.  Loved it.

8.  419 by Will Ferguson:  I didn't love this book, but the concept is intriguing.  It's a look at the other side of those spam emails you get claiming you can make a fortune if only you collaborate with this lawyer in Nigeria.  Quite thought provoking.

9.  The Eyre Affair (and various sequels) by Jasper Fforde:  You get to go inside your favourite books.  Amazing!
 
10.  State of Wonder by Ann Patchett:  What made this book unique to me was the subject matter.  It took you into the Brazilian jungle where scientists were at work developing a "wonder drug" for fertility.  Very different and creative.

1 comment:

  1. Great list! You mentioned some great titles (Attachments, Sophie's World, Life of Pi). I haven't read that particular book by Douglas Coupland but it sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete