Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Recent Additions to the TBR List

I've been swamped with school with little time for blogging lately, but I'm back today to link up again with The Broke and the Bookish. Today's topic is books that we've recently added to our to-read list. Here are some that I've added in the last few months or so.

Graphic Novels: I recently did a project for which I had to interview a guy who owns a children's comic shop. I've never been hugely into graphic novels except for the Tintin books that I grew up on, but this has made me more interested in reading them. Here are a couple on my list:

1. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel: This is credited with being one of the books that brought graphic novels into the mainstream.

2. Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman: Not sure how I've never read this given my History background, but I'm hoping to do so this year.

Random Kindle finds: I get these daily emails of Kindle deals, and though I almost never buy from them, occasionally there are gems. Here are a couple that I purchased and added to the list:

3. The Diviners by Libba Bray: I've heard good and bad things about this book, but it piqued my interest.

4. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han: Looks like a light, fun summer read.

And all the others....

5. Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden: I'm on a Boyden kick lately.

6. Swords and Crowns and Rings by Ruth Park: Recommendation from a friend in Australia which I just took out of the library.

7. Waiting for Daisy by Peggy Orenstein: More infertility reads.

8. The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King: I heard him interviewed on CBC Radio and was sold.

9. Rising '44: The Battle for Warsaw by Norman Davies: I read this in the bibliography of The Zookeeper's Wife and it sounded fascinating.

10. The Jews of Poland and Russia: A Short History by Antony Polonsky: I saw this book lying on a cart at the reserved reading section of the library. Obviously I couldn't take it out because it was on reserve, but I added it to the list. This is one of those times when I shake my head at myself for being so incredibly nerdy.

2 comments:

  1. You grew up with the Tintin books? How cool! We loved those growing up! Have you seen the movie? If so did you like it? I thought it was pretty fun... I wish though that they would have made another (I guess they still have time to) to flesh the story out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, yes, my dad is originally from Belgium, so Tintin is one of his favourite things. I have a bunch of his old books, though they're in French.

      I did see the movie and really liked it! I'd love for them to make another. :)

      Delete