Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Reads From 2015 (So Far)

This week's topic at The Broke and the Bookish is the best books read so far this year. Here is my list:

1. Maus by Art Spiegelman: I mostly read this because I'm taking a course on graphic novels, but I loved it. There are so many layers here in Spiegelman's account of his father's experience of WWII and the Holocaust.

2. He Knew He Was Right by Anthony Trollope: To be honest, I didn't know if I would like this book about a man's excessive jealousy. I think if it were only about jealous Louis Trevelyan, I would have gotten tired of the book, but the sub-plots and cast of characters kept me engaged.

3. Breaking the Tongue by Vyvyane Loh: A novel about World War II in Singapore.

4. The Orenda by Joseph Boyden: I've been putting this on a lot of lists lately because it's just so good. It takes a new look on Canada's History and despite the violence, I loved this novel.

5. Three Day Road by Joseph Boyden: Yeah, he's a new favourite of mine. This novel deals with two young Cree men and their experience as snipers in World War One.

6. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov: As a Russophile, I really should have read this ages ago, but I finally picked it up this year and loved it. Poor, lazy Oblomov!

7. Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel: Despite it's length, I plowed through this book quickly as I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read Bring Up the Bodies.

8. Villette by Charlotte Brontë: A young teacher moves to France to teach in a girls' school. I really enjoyed reading about her experiences and emotions.

9. Us Conductors by Sean Michaels: Bonus points for the fact that shortly after I read this book, he came and spoke at a library near me so I got my book signed!

10. Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay: There are so many things going on in this story: Intrigue, distrust, jealousy, love. I really enjoyed it.

4 comments:

  1. I read Maus I & II in college a long time ago and enjoyed reading both volumes. I've often thought of rereading both books. :-)

    I'm also a Russian Literature fan! I read An Ordinary Story by Ivan Goncharov in college and enjoyed reading it... Plus several other Russian classics. A Hero of Our Time and The Master & Margarita are my favorite Russian classics.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-ive-read.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll have to check out An Ordinary Story! I loved The Master and Margarita and enjoyed A Hero Of Our Times as well.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I've been wanting to check out Maus for a long time because everyone says it's really great.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. As amazing as Wolf Hall was I think I actually liked the tv show more. Have you watched it? :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete