Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 17 May 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Picked Up On A Whom

It's been a while, but finally I've got a groove back and am re-joining Top Ten Tuesday. The topic for today is books we picked up on a whom. I love it, because serendipitous books are some of my favourite finds; especially those found in passing at the library. These are all ones I've read on a whim in the last little while:

1. Exodus by Leon Uris: I remember reading ages ago that this was very influential in the 1960s, but forgot about it until I saw Exodus at the library and checked it out. I also volunteer regularly at the Holocaust library, which probably accounts for my interest in the subject matter!

2. My Age of Anxiety by Scott Stossel: This book was on display at the library and the title shouted out to me, seeing as I've suffered from growing anxiety over the past little while. It ended up being fascinating.

3. Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn: Okay, this may be slightly embarrassing, but I am a big Star Wars nerd, and my friend happened to mention reading the novels when she was younger.

4. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare: Another one I happened to spot at the library. Don't hate me, but I didn't actually like it very much. *ducks and runs*

5. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor: I found myself unexpectedly downtown and wanted a book to read on the subway ride home. Found a public library and grabbed this off the shelf.

6. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer: The cover intrigued me when I was browsing e-book loans.

7. A Backpack, A Bear, and Eight Crates of Vodka by Lev Golinkin: With a title like that, who wouldn't grab it off the shelf?

8. All Good Things: From Paris to Tahiti: Life and Longing by Sarah Turnbull: My friend posted a picture of the cover, and I was intrigued enough to go grab it from the library. I loved it.

9. Eden by Yael Hedaya: Another one on display at the library. It turned out to be extra poignant because it opens with a brutally honest discussion of infertility, and I read it when we first started infertility treatment.

10. The Story of Yiddish by Neal Karlen: This is the only book on the list that I actually bought, and the only one that I haven't read yet. As noted above, I volunteer at the Holocaust library, so I've been exposed to a lot more Yiddish lately and happened to see this at the book store.

3 comments:

  1. I just bought Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Did you like it?
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/top-ten-tuesday-57/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list! Sometimes you just need a book to read on the ride home (I've done it on occasion where I popped by a bookstore and bought something just to read on the subway) :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you liked Daughter of Smoke and Bone - it's one of my favorites. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete