Pages

"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage."
--Martin Luther

Tuesday 11 April 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Unique Books

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is looking at the most unique books that we have read.

Unique Structure
1. All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda: It's written backwards, which plays with your head a little.

2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner: I've read a number of books that jump around in terms of time and narration, but this was probably one of the most disjointed. I didn't actually like it very much, but it was certainly unique!

Unique perspective:
3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: The narrator is Death.

4. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold: The narrator is already dead and watching the story unfold.

5. My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me by Jennifer Teege: This is an autobiography that I read recently about a woman who found out her grandfather was a prominent Nazi. It was especially interesting as she is half-Nigerian.

Unique Themes:
6. Avalanche: A Love Story by Julia Leigh: I wrote about this book recently. It's Leigh's memoir of going through IVF. We don't have many infertility memoirs, and certainly few without a shiny happy ending.

7. None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio: This is a YA novel about a teenage girl who discovers she is intersex. I'd never read anything else on the subject, so it's definitely unique!

Just Plain Different:
8. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman: This book did a number on my head, but I enjoyed it. Gaiman certainly is a master of books that are a little weird.

9. The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey: This takes the traditional zombie novel and puts it on its head.

10. Maus by Art Spiegelman: Spiegelman tells his father's Holocaust story in a graphic novel format, using mice to depict the Jews and cats to depict the Nazis. It's very creative and different, and really started the trend of using graphic novels to tell serious stories.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ve read Maus, The Girl With All the Gifts, & The Ocean at the End of the Lane.... And I read one of William Faulkner's books in college, but can't remember which one now.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/04/top-ten-tuesday-my-top-seven-most.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I also have the Ocean at the End of the Lane on my list!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book Thief was on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/11/top-ten-tuesday-102/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is wonderful - I need more of the Hempstead women! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete